Sally Purnell represents hospitals, physicians and other healthcare providers in a wide range of legal matters. With over 25 years of experience defending and litigating medical malpractice claims, Sally has tried to verdict cases involving the most severe of damages, including birth injuries, profound neurological impairment and death.
While serving as lead defense counsel for Greenville Health System, Sally has gained unique insight into hospital rules, regulations and operations. Her experience allows her to effectively represent Haynsworth Sinkler Boyd's healthcare clients in medical staff fair hearings and in guardianship proceedings instituted for the purpose of hospital discharge planning. Sally also advises hospitals and physicians on matters of risk management, informed consent, patient confidentiality and peer review.
- University of Alabama, J.D., 1990
- Auburn University, B.A., 1987
- South Carolina, 1990
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 1991
- Best Lawyers® 2017 Medical Malpractice Law – Defendants “Lawyer of the Year” Greenville
- The Best Lawyers in America© Professional Malpractice Law - Defendants (2011-2018), Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants (2011-2018) and Professional Malpractice Law - Defendants (2011-2018)
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys’ Association
- Federation of Corporate and Defense Counsel
- Defense Research Institute
- Piedmont Health Foundation, Vice President
- Greenville County Bar
- South Carolina Bar