Todd Hess is an intellectual property attorney with more than a decade of business and industrial intellectual property experience. He helps clients obtain patents, trademarks and copyrights, and serves as counsel in related litigation, including trademark, trade secret and patent infringement matters.
Todd has worked with clients in the following industries:
In addition, Todd provides his clients with effective business advice and counsel on matters including license, joint development and co-existence agreements. He also works with clients in monitoring and protecting their brands and brand identities.
- • Chemicals – organic and inorganic chemistry
- • Emerging oil and gas processing technologies
- • Energy systems
- • Hydrocarbon processing
- • Oil and gas
- • Pharmaceuticals
- • Polymers
- • Pulp and paper
- • Semiconductors
Todd is a certified mediator in the Superior Courts of North Carolina and Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of North Carolina. He is licensed in Georgia, North Carolina and South Carolina.
Prior to joining our firm, Todd was an attorney with a boutique intellectual property firm and served as in-house counsel for two major manufacturers where he was responsible for United States and global patents, trademarks and domain name registrations. He managed portfolios of more than 700 issued patents, 1,300 registered trademarks and 200 domain name registrations.
- Case Western Reserve University, J.D., cum laude, 2007
- Ohio State University, M.Sc. with honors, 1987
- University of Cincinnati, B.S., summa cum laude, 1984
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court, Eastern, Middle and Western District Courts of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court, South Carolina
Additional Certifications and Training
American Bar Association
- Certified Financial Planner
- Registered Professional Engineer
- Advanced Licensing Agreements, Practicing Law Institute
- International Intellectual Property Law & European Union Governance, Seton Hall School of Law and National University of Ireland
"Protecting Your Brand," published September 9, 2019