Foster Girard leads Haynsworth Sinkler Boyd’s Corporate Practice Group and concentrates his practice on corporate finance and commercial transactions.
He advises on a number of financing documents and commercial contracts involving goods (including under Article Two of the Uniform Commercial Code), services and commercial real estate. Foster works to find practical legal solutions to achieve his clients’ business objectives and provides guidance on general corporate matters, including choice of entity, entity formation and governance documents.
Foster also represents buyers, sellers and developers in real estate matters and serves as lender’s counsel. From start to finish, he has the experience developers need to efficiently design and close a project, including acquiring land, obtaining local permitting, and assisting with financing and construction loans. Foster has been involved with numerous retail, multi-family housing and mixed-use projects.
- • Represented a buyer in the purchase of a $75,000,000 apartment complex
- • Represented a manufacturer in an agreement for the sale of its receivables, with a maximum facility amount of $125,000,000
- • Represented an institutional client in closing a $175,000,000 financing for the construction of a large residential building
- • Represented a local developer in a build-to-suit lease with a prominent national retail brand
- • Represented a manufacturer in negotiating a complex sale of goods contract with one of its largest customers, valued at over $100,000,000 in annual sales
- • Represented a small tech startup in its formation and equity offering resulting in two investments
Foster is a licensed title insurance agent and writes title insurance for a number of national title insurance companies.
- University of South Carolina, J.D., 2009
- The Citadel, B.S., 2006
- The Best Lawyers in America© Corporate Law (2021-2024)
- South Carolina Super Lawyers® "Rising Stars" Business/Corporate 2019 and Business Litigation 2018
- Columbia Business Monthly's "Legal Elite of the Midlands" Commercial Real Estate Law (2018-2020)
- Columbia Business Monthly's "Best & Brightest 35 and Under" 2017
- Order of the Coif
- Order of the Wig and Robe
- Recipient of The Citadel's Mark W. Clark Honor Committee Award
- Junior Achievement of Greater South Carolina, Board of Directors (2018-Present), Midlands District Board Vice Chair (2020-Present)
- South Carolina Bar, Corporate, Banking & Securities Law Section Chair (2022-Present), Young Lawyers Division Community Law Week Co-Chair (2010-2013) and Fifth Circuit Representative (2013-2016)
- Leadership Columbia, Class of 2014
- "Contract Review and Drafting," SC Bar Transactional/Corporate Law Essentials Program (2018-2020)
- “Coronavirus Supply Disruption Checklist,” HSB Blog, March 17, 2020
- "Who Runs this Place Anyway? Considering Corporate Governance Documents," HSB 2015 Corporate Law for Accountants Seminar Series