Haynsworth Sinkler Boyd has long been a voice for public education in South Carolina. Our attorneys provide a broad range of services to charter schools, and we are committed to advancing our clients’ missions of transforming public education in the state.
Our Charter School team is comprised of attorneys who have experience working with charter schools statewide and are able to provide the solutions and best practices needed with regard to nonprofit and corporate governance, financing, employment, real estate, construction, and regulatory law matters.
The HSB Charter School team has helped clients with:
- Preparing and filing applications for a charter school
- Establishing state and federal nonprofit status
- Creating Board governance documents
- Advising on financing options, including tax-exempt financing
- Charter application and revocation proceedings
- IRS and 501(c)(3) representation
- Establishing charitable foundations
- Fiscal compliance and tax law questions
- Providing advice, training and representation concerning FOIA issues
- Procurement advice and counsel
- Regulatory compliance with education law, including FERPA, IDEA, Title IX, ADA
- Preparing and negotiating Management Agreements, Executive Employment Agreements and Teacher Offer Letters
- Advising on employee retirement benefits
- Responding to discrimination claims by teachers, staff members and students
- Responding to disciplinary appeals from students
- Representing clients with the purchase and/or leasing of real estate
- Preparing and negotiating real estate development and construction agreements
- Advising on general school law issues
- Serving as outside general counsel for charter schools
Please contact a member of our Charter School team for additional information.