John Van Duys is a top-rated public finance lawyer focused on funding transportation and other needed infrastructure in South Carolina. He serves as bond counsel or underwriter’s counsel on governmental and conduit bonds for schools, environmental facilities, electric and gas generation and transmission, solid-waste plants, low-income housing and economic development initiatives. He advises clients on the federal tax rules that impact the issuance of municipal bonds.
After bonds are issued, John represents governmental and conduit borrowers in audits by the Internal Revenue Service and in structuring hedge agreements.
John was bond counsel and general counsel to Connector 2000 Association, Inc., the design-build-finance-operate, public-private partnership that developed the Greenville Southern Connector—a 16-mile limited access toll road. He continues to serve as general counsel to the agency that operates the highway.
He served as tax counsel to the Tobacco Settlement Revenue Management Authority as it issued $900 million of bonds to securitize the State of South Carolina’s receipts under the settlement agreement with leading tobacco companies.
He was also counsel for the only issue of tax-exempt empowerment zone bonds in the state of South Carolina.
John speaks on tax-related, public finance issues at workshops sponsored by the National Association of Bond Lawyers and the American College of Bond Counsel.
- University of Georgia, J.D., magna cum laude, 1981
- Florida State University, B.S., cum laude, 1978
- South Carolina, 1992
- Georgia, 1981
- Florida, 1981
- The Best Lawyers in America© Public Finance Law (2005-2020)
- Best Lawyers® 2018 Public Finance Law "Lawyer of the Year" Columbia
- American College of Bond Counsel, Fellow, Board of Directors (2007-2016), Secretary (2012)
- South Carolina Lutheran Retreat Centers, Board of Directors (2007-2014)
- South Carolina Bar
- State Bar of Georgia
- The Florida Bar
- American Bar Association, Tax Section
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Newberry College, Board of Directors (1997-2002)
- "Private Activity Bonds Test" (Panelist), Bond Attorney’s Workshop, National Association of Bond Lawyers, Chicago, IL, 2016
- Chair, American College of Bond Counsel, Comments on Proposed Regulations on Arbitrage - Issue Price, 2013
- Co-Chair, Ad Hoc Tax Committee of National Association of Bond Lawyers, Regulations Comment Project Solid Waste Facilities, 2009