John Chase is a certified specialist in estate planning and probate law at Haynsworth Sinkler Boyd.
In estate planning, John's services are geared to the preservation and orderly disposition of family businesses and large estates. Among other strategies, he advises on wills, testamentary substitutes and tax-advantaged vehicles such as charitable lead and remainder trusts, life insurance trusts, foundations and family limited partnerships.
In litigation, John represents individuals, trusts and trust departments concerning challenges to estate plans that may involve issues such as testamentary capacity, intent and undue influence, as well as disputes involving the construction of wills and administration of decedents’ estates.
Advising business owners is a strong focus of John's practice. He helps entrepreneurs form new ventures and helps business owners sell their companies. He has negotiated many multi-million dollar transactions that have satisfied the objectives of both buyers and sellers.
He advises clients on the best tax and financing structures for purchases and sales of business assets, often calling on his experience as a former counsel to a federally chartered savings and loan association.
- University of Miami, LL.M. in estate planning, 1981
- University of South Carolina, J.D., 1979
- The Citadel, B.A., 1975
- South Carolina, 1979
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 1982
- U.S. District Court, South Carolina, 1981
- U.S. Tax Court, 1987
- Best Lawyers® 2020 Trusts and Estates “Lawyer of the Year” Charleston
- The Best Lawyers in America© Tax Law (2009-2020) and Trusts and Estates (2005-2020)
- Best Lawyers® 2019 Tax Law “Lawyer of the Year” Charleston
- South Carolina Bar, Sections on Estate Planning, Probate and Trust Law and Taxation, former Chairman
- Estate Planning and Probate Law Specialization Advisory Board, former Member