Mott McDonald is a Haynsworth Sinkler Boyd litigator with more than 30 years of experience in a wide variety of cases. Much of his work involves the defense of toxic tort and asbestos suits, and with colleague David Conner, Mott leads our firm’s Asbestos Team—serving as national counsel for one asbestos defendant and as regional counsel for several others.
He has also tried cases for clients such as Greenville County and Daniel International in suits involving claims of groundwater contamination relating to landfills.
Mott represents clients in a variety of complex contractual and property disputes. He has successfully tried several trust and estate matters. Mott has represented landowners in condemnation proceedings as well as businesses in contractual disputes with millions of dollars at issue.
- University of Virginia, J.D., 1985
- Davidson College, B.A., magna cum laude, 1982
- South Carolina, 1985
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 1986
- U.S. District Court, South Carolina, 1986
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, 1989
- The Best Lawyers in America© Litigation - Environmental (2011-2019) and Bet-the-Company Litigation (2010-2018)
- South Carolina Super Lawyers® Personal Injury - General: Defense (2008-2019)
- Greenville Business Magazine "Legal Elite of the Upstate" Environmental Law 2018
- Best Lawyers® 2017 Litigation - Environmental “Lawyer of the Year” Greenville
- Order of the Coif
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- American Bar Association
- American Board of Trial Advocates, South Carolina Chapter
- Defense Research Institute
- South Carolina Bar
- South Carolina Defense Lawyers' Association
- Greenville County Bar Association