A South Carolina native, Stan routinely represents financial institutions in connection with commercial and consumer loan defaults. He also represents financial institutions in actions arising from operational issues such as interbank check and other item processing disputes, as well as lawsuits involving instruments bearing unauthorized signatures. He regularly represents construction suppliers in connection with enforcement of mechanic lien rights.
In the areas of debt restructuring and bankruptcy, Stan's clients typically include financial institutions and investors. In 2003, he served as counsel for the public bondholders holding debt in excess of $400 million in a Chapter 11 proceeding involving claims of more than $1 billion.
Stan is certified by the South Carolina Supreme Court in Bankruptcy/Debtor-Creditor Law.
- University of South Carolina, J.D., 1979
- University of South Carolina, B.S., 1976
- South Carolina, 1979
- U.S. District Court, South Carolina, 1979
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 1980
- The Best Lawyers in America© Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law (2005-2023), Bet-the-Company Litigation (2014-2023) and Litigation - Bankruptcy (2011-2023)
- Best Lawyers® 2020 Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law "Lawyer of the Year" Columbia
- South Carolina Super Lawyers® Bankruptcy: Business (2008-2022)
- Best Lawyers® 2016 Litigation-Bankruptcy "Lawyer of the Year" Columbia
- Columbia Business Monthly "Legal Elite of the Midlands" Bankruptcy and Creditor Rights Law (2020-2022), Bankruptcy and Debtors' Rights Law 2022 and Banking and Finance Law 2020
- J. Bratton Davis Bankruptcy American Inn of Court, Barrister
- Carolina Chapter of the Turnaround Management Association
- South Carolina Bar
- American Bar Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Glenforest School, former Board Member