Howell Morrison is a highly experienced litigator with deep roots in his native Charleston, South Carolina. He has a broad civil and criminal practice background having clerked for a federal judge and served as a federal prosecutor in Charleston. Howell has tried over 80 cases to verdict and a number of arbitrations to decisions. He spent almost a decade representing a nationally prominent plaintiff’s firm in a series of arbitrations stemming from the withdrawal of several shareholders and resulting disputes over clients, fees and firm assets. He has also written and argued appeals in the Fourth Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals, the South Carolina Supreme Court and the Court of Appeals. His practice is now concentrated on business litigation and legal malpractice defense, including class actions and various arbitrations.
He has represented clients in various LLC, partnership and corporate disputes, financial and banking litigation, defense of legal malpractice cases, environmental litigation, eminent domain battles, prosecution of insurance fraud and insurance coverage disputes.
He has defended wrongful death cases to verdict and represented parties in class actions and multi-district litigation.
Before entering private practice, Howell clerked for the Hon. Falcon B. Hawkins, United States District Judge, in Charleston and served as an Assistant U.S. Attorney in Charleston from 1980 to 1984.
- University of South Carolina, J.D.
- Washington and Lee University, B.A., cum laude
- The Best Lawyers in America© Commercial Litigation (2015-2020) and Professional Malpractice Law - Defendants (2016-2020)
- Judicial Conference for the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals, permanent Member
- Charleston Lawyers Club, former President
- Charleston County Bar Association, former Secretary-Treasurer
- South Carolina Bar House of Delegates, former Chair of Practice and Procedure Committee
- Editorial Board for South Carolina Civil Procedure, 2nd Ed., Prof. James Flanagan