IP attorneys at Haynsworth Sinkler Boyd have are highly experienced in providing legal advice and counsel to both universities and hospitals internally developing intellectual property, as well as the subsequent commercialization of such intellectual property.
Our attorneys have frequently acted as outside general or special counsel to many nonprofit research foundations, navigating the tax rules applicable to sponsored and applied research conducted by tax exempt organizations. This includes issues related to unrelated business income tax, private/public partnerships and joint ventures. The technology transfer and licensing team at Haynsworth Sinkler Boyd routinely advises such institutions on issues related to the Bayh-Dole Act, federally funded research and export controls.
We have negotiated the licensing, sale and transfer of a variety of forms of intellectual property, including patents, copyrights, trademarks, know-how and other proprietary rights—working extensively in the fields of healthcare, biotechnology, electrical engineering, advanced materials and energy.
TECHNOLOGY TRANSFER/LICENSING EXPERIENCE:
- Served as outside special counsel to universities, hospitals and their respective research foundations in technology transfer and commercialization endeavors
- Assisted in the transfer and licensing of technology and intellectual property portfolios
- Routinely advise on the drafting and negotiation of Inter-Institutional Agreements in connection with the development and licensing of jointly created intellectual property
- Provided advice and counsel in connection with sponsored and applied research agreements for universities and hospitals
- Negotiated and drafted joint development agreements for technology development, ownership and cross-licensing