Haynsworth Sinkler Boyd attorneys represent a wide variety of nonprofit organizations in the areas of higher education, charter schools, government, industry and commerce, healthcare, community development, and the arts, structuring the formation of these organizations and advising as to tax-exempt status.
Our firm’s nonprofit legal team also assists in developing a variety of creative financing products, including tax-exempt bond financing, to successfully complete a multitude of multi-million dollar projects, litigating a variety of complex lawsuits ranging from constitutional issues to employment matters, while also assisting in the drafting and implementation of policy and governance issues.
- Represented numerous educational institutions in establishing foundations to finance, construct and operate student housing facilities, academic buildings and other university-related facilities
- Advising on the legal and tax structure of an unprecedented collaboration among the three SC public research universities and several major healthcare systems, known as Health Sciences South Carolina
- Regularly counseling nonprofits that serve as economic development entities for governmental bodies, including regional economic development alliances, and supporting foundations for numerous colleges and universities
- Regularly advising SC Launch!, a SCRSA collaboration, whose mission is to identify, nurture and grow high impact knowledge-based companies in South Carolina
- Represented a large public hospital system in structuring exempt and for-profit affiliates to commercialize cancer therapies developed by hospital researchers
- Created a cultural center financing to serve nine different arts organizations payable from pledges from a capital campaign
- Advised numerous foundations concerning conversion from 509(a)(3) supporting organization status to 509(a)(1) publicly-supported organization status and other Pension Protection Act compliance issues