A valuable member of our Haynsworth Sinkler Boyd team, Bryan Hickey blends a background of law and engineering to help businesses and individuals resolve complex disputes and acquire and use intellectual property and engineering and technology assets. He assists companies in brand and trademark matters, Internet business, intellectual property in mergers, acquisitions and company name and brand changes, technology litigation and arbitration, as well as corporate governance and insurance coverage matters.
His intellectual property work involves litigation of patent, trademark and copyright claims. He advises on federal and state trademark registration and asset transfers, copyright, trade-secret and internet issues. Bryan also advises clients on contracts, licenses and transactions involving engineering, technology and intellectual property. He represents clients in cases involving infringement and validity related allegations, including patent infringement, copyright infringement, cases related to architectural and engineering works and design work product and website materials. He has also participated in World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) training.
RESOLUTIONS - LITIGATION, ARBITRATION AND DISPUTE RESOLUTION
Bryan is a certified mediator with the South Carolina Circuit Court, is a member of the National Panel of Arbitrators of the American Arbitration Association and serves as a member of our Firm’s Arbitration Advocacy Team in major arbitrations. He has arbitrated and served as mediator in numerous disputes, including construction, commercial contracts and controversies and as mediator in intellectual property litigation. He has also served as counsel in litigation related to arbitration.
CONSTRUCTION, ENGINEERING AND COMPLEX CONTRACTS
In the construction and engineering industry, Bryan has successfully resolved a wide array of construction disputes in state and federal courts and in arbitration, mediation and negotiation, including international construction/engineering disputes and disputes related to insurance coverage and structural collapse and casualty cases. Bryan is an affiliate member of the American Society of Civil Engineers.
He has counseled clients in respect to complex contracts. His experience includes service as counsel to a major construction industry association in its work with a major architectural industry association and others for the development of standard contract forms.
Bryan has written and spoken on intellectual property, arbitration and construction related matters. He has contributed to publications of Matthew Bender Company, John Wiley & Sons, Aspen Law and Business, South Carolina Bar, American Bar Association Construction Industry Forum, The American Society of Civil Engineers, and the National Business Institute.
- • Trademark, patent and copyright litigation and counseling, including infringement and international issues
- • Trademark and brand registration and development projects and multinational corporation intellectual property transfers
- • Resolution of disputes involving equipment related to the cleanup of power plant air emissions and geothermal energy
- • Amicable settlements of insurance coverage disputes concerning complex litigation and counseling in intellectual property coverage matters
Prior to entering private practice, Bryan was a Vice President and Deputy General Counsel for Daniel International Corporation, a major multinational construction/engineering firm with diversified subsidiaries. He also served as Vice President of a bridge building and heavy construction company.
- Capital University, J.D., 1973
- Ohio State University, B.C.E., 1969
- Ohio, 1973
- South Carolina, 1977
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, 1997
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit, 1988
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 1979
- United States Patent and Trademark Office, 1977
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1993
- Martindale Hubbell AV rating
- Greenville Business Magazine "Legal Elite of the Upstate" Intellectual Property 2015
- American Society of Civil Engineers, Affiliate Member and former Legal Review Forum Member
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Member of various Bar association committees
- Federal Circuit Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- South Carolina Bar, Resolution of Fee Disputes Board Member and former Chair of the Commercial Law Committee
- Greenville Family Partnership, former President
- Catholic Charities Mardi Gras Board, former President
- St. Mary’s School, former Board Member
- Ohio Bar