Theodore DuBose has more than 25 years of experience in counseling South Carolina governments in public finance and related matters. In particular, Theodore is highly experienced in representing political subdivisions, school districts, and the State of South Carolina as bond counsel for general obligation and revenue bonds, tax anticipation notes, bond anticipation notes, installment-purchase financing, equipment lease-purchase contracts and several other forms of financing. His experience also includes negotiating development agreements for rapidly growing local governments, and creating a municipal assessment district to fund a dredging project.
While he does not maintain a litigation practice, Theodore does work closely with other Haynsworth Sinkler Boyd lawyers in preparing for trial and appellate proceedings involving public finance and related matters.
Theodore is an acknowledged leader of legal issues involving the creation of public debt, having frequently presented on this and other related topics to various governmental associations and banks that provide local government lending in the State. A South Carolina native, he understands the needs of local governmental borrowers, providing innovative, results-oriented techniques—all while meeting the legal requirements related to tax-exempt financing.
- • Successfully handled referendums involving more than $1.7 billion in bonds for various school districts
- • Assisted the South Carolina Senate Finance Committee in drafting legislation that modernized the procedures for selling general obligation debt
- • Worked with educators and local community and business leaders for many years to reform education financing in South Carolina
- • Served as bond counsel in connection with the issuance of general obligation bonds to support significant economic development projects
- University of South Carolina, J.D., cum laude, 1984
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, A.B., 1980
- South Carolina, 1984
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 1986
- The Best Lawyers in America© Public Finance Law (2003-2020)
- Best Lawyers® 2017 Public Finance Law "Lawyer of the Year" Columbia
- Best Lawyers® 2011 Public Finance Law "Lawyer of the Year" Columbia
- South Carolina Bar, former Government Law Section President
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Columbia Museum of Art, Board of Trustees
- South Carolina Future Minds, Board of Directors