Perry MacLennan is a workforce and business lawyer helping companies establish or expand operations in South Carolina and comply with various laws applicable to doing business here. Perry focuses on employment law, economic development incentives, contracts and general corporate matters. He teaches Business Law at the College of Charleston and is active in the community and the legal profession.
Perry has a passion for employment law. He regularly blogs about workplace issues at www.scemployersblog.com and counsels clients daily on human resource concerns such as hiring, firing, leave, discrimination, safety and immigration. A skilled litigator when business disputes arise, Perry has argued before the Supreme Court of South Carolina and routinely handles lawsuits in both state and federal court. He has experience representing companies in government investigations from OSHA, the EEOC and the Department of Labor.
Perry also assists companies with economic incentives related to launching or growing their South Carolina presence such as fee in lieu of tax agreements, job development/tax credits and grant funding.
He regularly counsels clients on Fair Housing issues such as housing discrimination and compliance with the Federal Fair Housing Act and various HUD regulations. Perry has represented housing providers during fair housing investigations and lawsuits. He also provides advice/counsel to national fair housing training and compliance providers.
Perry currently serves as the President of the Clemson Young Alumni Council, President-Elect of the South Carolina Bar Young Lawyers Division and Administrative Director of the ABA Young Lawyers Division.
- University of South Carolina, J.D., magna cum laude, 2014
- Clemson University, B.A., 2011
- American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division "Star of the Year" 2018
- South Carolina Super Lawyers® "Rising Stars" Employment & Labor 2018
- Order of the Coif
- Order of the Wig and Robe
- South Carolina Law Review, Associate Editor-in-Chief
- Awarded top overall score in the 2012 Law Review Journal Writing Competition
- Finished in the top 5 of his law school class
- South Carolina Economic Development Institute, 2018
- Palmetto Society for Human Resource Management, Board of Directors, General Counsel (2017-2018)
- Helping And Lending Outreach Support (HALOS), Board Member (2016-Present)
- Clemson University Young Alumni Council, President
- American Bar Association, South Carolina Delegate to House of Delegates, Administrative Director of the Young Lawyers Division (2018-Present)
- South Carolina Bar Young Lawyers Division, President-Elect, co-chair of Professional Development Committee and Make-a-Wish Committee, ICivics Committee, Bar Convention Committee, Special Olympics Committee
- LEADSC, Executive Committee
- Charleston Metro Chamber of Commerce Leadership Discovery Program, Class of 2016
- South Carolina Chamber of Commerce, Human Resources Committee
- "Marijuana & Multifamily: Current Legal Guidelines for Multifamily Executives," Grace Hill Webinar, March 14, 2019
- "What Every CPA Needs to Know about Intellectual Property," HSB 2018 Corporate Law for Accountants Seminar Series
- "The Aging Workforce: Generational Challenges and Discrimination," HSB 2018 Employment Law Seminar Series
- "Do's and Don'ts for Business Visitors," International Association of Young Lawyers Labour and Immigration Law Annual Conference, Turin, Italy, October 5, 2018
- "Protecting Your Intellectual Property," Charleston Metro Chamber of Commerce Lunch and Learn, Charleston, SC, August 21, 2018
- "Workplace Relationships, Sexual Harassment & #MeToo Movement in the Food & Beverage Industry," HSB 2018 Restaurant Seminars
- "Politics in the Workplace," HSB 2017 Employment Law Seminar Series
- "Top Ten Employment Law Issues for CPAs," HSB 2017 Corporate Law for Accountants Seminar Series
- "LGBT Discrimination," South Carolina Manufacturer’s Alliance Regional HR Meeting, August 31, 2017
- "Marijuana: Legal Issues at Work," American Bar Association Annual Meeting, August 11, 2017.
- "Employees v. Independent Contractors," South Carolina Healthcare Financial Managers Association Annual Meeting, June 1, 2017
- "Employment Law Update," SC Special Purpose District Association, May 16, 2017
- "Americans with Disabilities Act Update," Palmetto Society Human Resources, May 9, 2017
- "Substance Abuse in the Workplace," CSRA SHRM Chapter, March 16, 2017
- "Advance Legal Writing: Affidavits," Guest Lecturer, Charleston School of Law, February 23, 2017
- "Local Government Update: Employment Law and Litigation," National Business Institute, February 28, 2017
- "Legal Ethics and ESI," National Business Institute, February 23, 2017
- "Substance Abuse in the Workplace," HSB 2016 Employment Law Seminar Series
- "FLSA Update," Pee Dee Education Roundtable, November 9, 2016
- "Worker Classification in the Gig Economy," Disrupt HR, October 19, 2016
- "The New FLSA Overtime Regulations," Greene Finney & Horton and HSB Tax and Legal Update, May 11, 2016 and SC Association of Residential Care Homes Meeting, April 27, 2016
- "HR Law Update," Southern Carolina Alliance HR Meeting, February 2016
- "Pregnancy Discrimination in Light of Young v. UPS," HSB 2016 and 2015 Employment Law Seminars
- "Employees versus Independent Contractors," HSB 2015 Corporate Law for Accountants Seminar
- "Who’s the Boss? You May Be a Joint Employer of Temporary Workers," Association of Corporate Counsel South Carolina’s October 2015 newsletter